Friday, November 5, 2010

The place that planted the dream in my head

The Crazy Horse Monument in South Dakota.
         This is the first place that I’m heading.  I had no idea who Crazy Horse was or why he’s so important, until I read about this memorial several years ago.
         It seems like a great passion for the people involved to blast this rock into this Indian leader and his horse. They started in 1948.  I so want to talk to these people. And besides the leader is named Ruth!  The President of the Memorial Foundation, Ruth Ziolkowski is the wife of Korczak the sculptor.  His spirit must be with Crazy Horse somewhere!                        
Korczak (the sculptor) and Ruth Ziolkowski
         They have gathered the land in bits and pieces and are building this with private donations. I was so inspired that I bought a couple of t-shirts to wear walking.
        So walk I do.  Usually a  few days a week with my i-pod to keep me moving along. I consider this training for me - athlete lite!    I am going to walk to the top of the mountain.  And I'll duck while they blast!
http://www.crazyhorsememorial.org/monument/

2 comments:

  1. Hey- You could be my neighbor. I've always wanted to move to North Dakota, and you can be just to the south. Are they carving into sacred indian ground, like Mt. Rushmore in the Black Hills? And really, the first place you're heading? No place between here and there?
    Is this going to be on private land, or are they going to doante it to the public?
    You spelled whos wrong. Missing the "e".

    ReplyDelete
  2. wouldn't you want to visits places on the way there like Orlando Kentucky Georgia

    ReplyDelete